Given the erratic power supply from the national grid in Nigeria, the use of generators has become part of the normal supply of lighting and power for households and workplaces in the areas. It is, therefore, necessary for users to be aware of the dangers and the precautions they can take to avoid any eventualities.
The fumes from generators contain carbon monoxide which is an odourless, colourless, tasteless gas that is produced as a result of incomplete combustion from fuels.
Carbon monoxide can also be produced from incomplete combustion from gas stoves, lanterns, charcoal grills, gas ranges, gas dryers, hot water heaters, automobiles and heating systems.
Generator fumes are extremely hazardous as they build up in enclosed areas and can cause sudden illness or death by weakening the blood’s ability to carry oxygen to organs and body tissues.
Poisoning occurs after enough inhalation of carbon monoxide (CO). Exposure at 100 parts per million (ppm) or greater is dangerous to human health.
It causes adverse effects in humans by combining with haemoglobin to form carboxyhaemoglobin (HbCO) in the blood. Since the gas cannot be seen or smelled, people often don’t know they are breathing it and so can lead to poisoning in few minutes.
Although anyone who uses a generator is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, infants, women who are pregnant and their unborn babies, the elderly and people with heart or breathing problems are most at risk.
It also affects pets. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness, drowsiness, severe headache, weakness, nausea and confusion. If you experience any of these, get out of the house and seek medical attention immediately.
So using Beebeejump’s solar home system from now on can give you and your family a better and safe life.